Tuesday, November 13, 2012

11-13-12

Today I guided Tom and Dan Wilkins for pigs. We hit the ground running this morning and as we climbed the first hill I spotted a herd of 30 plus pigs. We came up with a quick game plan and took off on foot to try and catch the pigs at a reservoir a mile or so away. We made it quickly to the reservoir but the pigs were not there, so we sat down and took a breather. Within minutes we could hear the pigs in the brush and caught a glimpse of them as they moved towards the pond. It seemed as if we had the perfect plan up until the wind swirled and the pigs took off in the other direction! We quickly made our way back the other direction trying to relocate the pigs but could not find them so we set off to try and find some others. As we began to climb the same hill as this morning I looked over and spotted the same group of pigs again! They were headed towards us so we put together a plan and were off to the races. We ran down the hill and tried to beat them to the flats but they got ahead of us so I told the guys just to stay ready and sooner or later we would catch them again. We got to a cross roads where the pigs could have went two different directions, so I left the guys and ran up the hill to see if I could figure out which way the pigs went. I had only gone a couple hundred yards when I spotted the pigs down in the creek bottom feeding so I ran back to get the guys. As soon as we got back up the hill the pigs were still feeding in the creek bottom but were feeding away from us and not offering any shots. I decided to let the pigs get out of sight and then we would make our attack. I knew we had to catch up to them and get it done this time as Dan looked as if he was going to shoot me if I made him go any further on foot! We eventually caught up to the pigs again and got set up. Tom was the first to touch the trigger and the 175 pound sow dropped in her tracks! Not long after Dan had his BAR 7MM singing and a nice sized 125 pound sow in the dirt. It was a great hunt with a couple of great guys! I look forward to hunting with them again in the future.

Casey 

No comments: