Friday, December 31, 2010

12-31-10

With all of the talk about the high water I just had to venture out to one of my old flooded timber spots on the bypass and see if any ducks were utilizing it. We left the boat ramp at 5:30 AM and after a 1 hour white knuckle boat ride we arrived to find the pond flooded and looking good. We immediately got the decoys out and then hid the boat and slid in behind a fallen tree to see what the morning would bring. Almost immediately we could see wood ducks flying every where, but as legal shooting hours came the wood duck flight slowed way down as it some times will. We had a good set up and waited it out to see what would happen. Around 7:15 the woodys started to drift back into the pond 1 pair at a time and we ended the mornings hunt with 9 wood ducks and 5 mallards for the two of us. I took a picture mid morning of the birds hanging in a tree but forgot to get a final photo as I was freezing after standing in waist deep water all morning. It was alot of fun and I now remember why I used to love to hunt the flood water.

Casey


No comments: