Tuesday, June 7, 2011

6-7-11

This evening I guided Paul Morse and Bob Fischer on a pig hunt. We met in Maxwell at 5:30 PM and headed up to the ranch. I decided that I would try the East side of the ranch again, so we headed up the hill and sat down to see what would come out this evening. By 7:00 I was starting to get nervous so I left the guys and walked up the ridge to see if I could spot some pigs in the upper flat. As soon as I rounded the corner I could see roughly 40 pigs in the flat feeding at well over 1000 yards away. I quickly walked back and told the guys what I had seen and then took off to go and get the ranger so that we could drive closer to the pigs before beginning our stalk. As I came up the hill on the ranger I saw Bob waving his hands and then I looked past him and saw a group of 15 pigs out in the flat that they were watching. As soon as I saw the pigs and shut the ranger off it was evident that they had already heard me and started to move back up the hill where they had come from. Paul was already on the sticks ready to shoot and as the biggest boar in the group turned and presented a good quartering shot he touched the trigger and dropped the boar dead in it's tracks. The boar was roughly 200 pounds and should be a good eater. We all had a great time and I can assure you that we will be after a pig for Bob tomorrow morning.

Jake

No comments: