Thursday, March 15, 2012

3-15-12

Today I guided Dan, Bob and Tom on a pig hunt. We got to the ranch and the rain started coming down, but we decided to go for it any how. We hunted for quite awhile and did not see anything out moving but as we rounded a corner we caught a glimpse of some pigs in the brush. We headed after them as I thought I knew where they were going but we came up empty handed. We decided to work the lower part of the ranch and see if anything was moving down there but again nothing. It was now noon and the guys needed to get on the road so we loaded up in the truck and headed towards the gate. As we rounded the corner there in the road stood a group of pigs. It was like a chinese fire drill as doors flew open and guys started grabbing for guns. The pigs trotted up the hill and stopped in some brush. Dan was the first to find one in the scope and dropped a 150 pound boar in its tracks. The rest of the pigs scattered and the race was on. I took Bob with me and we ran up the hill hoping to catch up with the pigs. As we crested the ridge I spotted the group of pigs walking along a trail across the ravine at 100 yards. Bob got steady and I gave them the old coyote howl and they stopped dead in their tracks. I urged Bob to shoot but he couldn't find them in the scope as it was now covered with water. He tried to clean it off but before he could the pigs went in the brush never to be seen again. We walked back down the hill and got Dan's pig cleaned and loaded up. It was a good hunt and I can assure you that these guys will be back to even the score with the pigs!

Casey  

No comments: