Sunday, March 17, 2013

3-16-13

I decided it is was time to head out and do some scouting for my upcoming sturgeon trips so I loaded Regina and the kids up and we headed out. We launched at Ward's Landing and headed down stream. As we rounded every corner I was baffled by all of the boats that were out fishing and there seemed to be a boat sitting in all of the spots I wanted to fish! I just kept the hammer down and ended up fishing at Lupe's Bend. We got anchored up an hour before dark and the waiting game began! We were getting alot of trash fish bites and saw 5 or 6 sturgeon roll, but we fished all night without hooking one. In the morning we pulled anchor and headed up stream and decided to fish until we ran out of bait. As soon as I threw the anchor a keeper sized fish jumped below the boat and I knew it was only a matter of time before we caught him, but again I was wrong. I re baited the rods a couple times and waited patiently for a bite but still nothing. As I sat back down I looked over at my lovely wife and realized why we hadn't been bit, as I watched her pull a whole bunch of BANANAS out of her bag! For those of you who have know idea what I am talking about there is an old fisherman's superstition about no bananas on the boat that goes way back!!!

She should know better than that !! It may not be the reason that we did not catch any fish but it sure as hell gave me an excuse and a reason to harass her all day!!

Even though we did not catch any fish it sure was nice to be out on the water, and anyone who has fished sturgeon before knows that happens alot! They are a mysterious creature and only bite when they decide they want to.

Casey 

No comments: