Thursday, April 17, 2014

Turkey Troubles!!

After the great hunt from last week I was eager to get back after the turkey's. Today Aaron and I headed up to the ranch with hopes of getting him a bird. We left the cabin and headed up the hill and found a likely spot to set up. As the sky started to lighten the birds started gobbling and it sounded as if we were in the right location! Once the birds left the roost and hit the ground they were very vocal and sounded s if they were headed our way. I gave a few calls and the birds answered back immediately, so my hopes were high! After a half hour or so we spotted a few birds making their way up the adjacent hill side, several hundred yards away.  Every time I would call the birds would answer and we could watch them as they would swell up and then strut, spit, and drum. It was one hell of a show, as there must have been 6-8 different tom's on that hill side. One of the toms broke off and was headed our way doing the dance when out of no where a couple other toms charged him and scared him back up the hill. I tried to gently coax him back down our direction but he just wouldn't do it! As I was about to loose hope I made one more aggressive set of calls and heard a couple birds a long ways away. I then sat quiet for roughly 10 minutes and hit the call again, and got an immediate answer from 2 birds and they were headed our way quickly! Aaron was set up and ready as we waited another 10 minutes or so and I let out another couple clucks. This time the gobbles erupted and it sounded like they were within 50 yards!! Within seconds we watched a 2 toms came barreling towards us through the brush, the lead bird headed straight in while to other one held up at the brush line. The lead bird came into 20 yards or so but wasn't going to get any closer to my strutter decoy. I gently purred and tried to coax him in closer but he wouldn't do it! I could tell he was getting nervous and as he turned to leave Aaron fired!! To my disbelief and his as well we watched as the birds ran off, it was a clean miss!! We will never know what happened but it just wasn't meant to be. We tried several other locations to try and raise some interest and had several gobbles but no takers!!  It was a great day in the hills and the show that we got to watch this morning was nothing short of amazing!!     

No comments: