Sunday, March 15, 2015

Chasing dinosaurs!

I met up with Joe and Diego in Colusa and after getting bait we headed for the launch. We were on the water by 4:30 and fishing by 5:00! I had just baited all the rods and got them in the holders when the outside rod went down! I set the hook and it was fish on, we cleared all the other lines out of the way and I glanced down at my phone, it was 5:05! The fish was pulling drag and looked like it wasn't going to turn so I threw in the bouy and we floated with the fish. Joe would take line in and as soon as the fish was close it would take off again. This went on for 40 minutes before I finally saw the fish blow bubbles as it made it's way to the surface! As the fish came up it was evident that it was way too big, it taped out at 90 inches from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. We tried to get a good picture of it but just couldn't get a good one so we un-hooked her and spent about 10 minutes reviving her before she swam off! Joe's arms were throbbing and the guys were all smiles!


We got back over to the buoy and got anchored back up and fresh bait in the water. Around 7:30 the rod started to noodle and I grabbed it and set the hook, a swing and a miss! We re-baited and the waiting game ensued. As it goit dark I lit the lantern and the ammount of bugs out was simply amazing. I had to move the lantern to the very back of the boat to keep from swallowing a bug with every breath, it was crazy! By morning we had one hell of a pile of dead ones around the lantern.

   As we continued to wait for another bite we must have dozed off but woke right up when we heard the sound of the clicker! I jumped up and grabbed the rod and passed it to Joe as he came to life! The fish was pulling and jumping trying to shake the hook but he ended up in the net! The fish taped out at 54 inches and Joe was happy to be taking it home! It was another great night on the water and I can't wait to get back out there!

No comments: