Thursday, February 25, 2016

Sturg On!!!




My favorite fishing to do has always been sturgeon fishing! I don't know if it's the pure relaxation I get while fishing for them or the chance of catching a fish that could be as big as 10-12 feet long! Either way I love it and am always excited to get out on the water with clients and show them the ropes!

This afternoon I met up with Brett and Gina and we headed out in search of a river monster! On my way up stream I checked several holes and finally found one that was holding fish and threw the anchor. We quickly got the rods baited up and into the water. As we waited we had several fish roll down stream of us and I knew sooner or later one would snap! It didn't take long and one of the rods went down and the fight was on! Brett grabbed the rod and I cranked in the others and then tossed the float so we could go with the fish. It was pulling hard but Brett stayed after it and after an epic battle we had the monster beside the boat. I took a quick measurement but couldn't be exact so I netted the fish and we brought it into the boat! A quick tape job revealed a 68 inch fork measurement. The fish was too big to keep so we snapped a quick picture, and got the fish back in the water and spent 15 minutes or so reviving the fish until it swam out of my hands to fight another day! I was on cloud 9 and Brett's arms were on fire!!

We quickly got back to the anchor and got some fresh bait in the water with hopes of catching another. At 9:00 the rod doubled over and it was fish on again. As Brett fought the fish I got all the rods out of the way and readied the net. The fish was fighting good but acted as if it was possibly a smaller, keeper sized fish so we waited patiently to see what he had a hold of. As soon as the fish showed its self it was apparent that we would not need the net as the fish was way too big to keep! When the fish saw the light coming from the lantern it took off like a bat out of hell and even jumped a few times, it was awesome! Brett finally won the battle and we threw a tape on the fish real quick as it lay beside the boat, 84 inches, a true river monster. The fish was quickly un hooked and set free to do it's thing.

While the rest of the night was un eventful we did have some more bites and swung on a few fish that we should of had! All in all it was a great night on the water and I can't wait to get back out there!               

No comments: