Sunday, April 22, 2012

4-22-12

Today I guided Rich Mccoll on a turkey hunt. We headed up into the hills and set out to try and find some birds in the roost and get set up. I blew the crow call and had several gobblers respond so we headed into the direction of the closest bird to get set up. We moved into a nice little meadow and put out the decoy and got set up and started calling. Almost immediately the tom gobbled back and I just knew when he left the roost he would come right to us, boy was I wrong. When the tom flew out of the tree he headed right toward us but we watched in amazement as he flew right over our heads and continued down the canyon! That was a first for me, I have never seen a bird fly that far after leaving the roost. That set up was blown so we grabbed the decoy and headed in the other direction to find another gobbler. Within minutes we had a gobble and the tom was headed our way. The tom came in to 15 yards and Rich put the hammer down! The tom ended up being a real trophy sporting an 11" beard and 1.25 inch spurs. This was Rich's first turkey and I bet it will not be his last!!

Casey  

No comments: