Thursday, May 9, 2013

5-9-13


I decided to head out to the river this evening to see how the stripers were biting. My kids had been wanting to go so we went on a scouting mission. We launched at Ward's Landing and headed up stream, armed with rubber worms and searching for a big one. On our first pass down the rock wall it was fish on! I handed the rod to my daughter Quinn and she battled the 10 pound hen to the boat. After a quick picture, we watched her swim away to go make some babies. On the next pass Bigshot hooked up and handed the rod to my son Cade. He made short work of it and another 8 pound hen came into the boat and back into the river. We continued to work the wall and were getting a fish or 2 per pass. On the fourth or fifth pass I hooked a big one, that about ripped the rod out of my hand. As I set the hook the fish swam at the boat, then back to the bank, and then stripped line off of the reel as it headed to the middle of the river and up stream. I handed the rod to Cade and watched as the battle ensued. Cade fought the fish for about 10 minutes and had it right next to the boat several times but on the last try the hook pulled out. I caught a glimpse of the fish on two different occasions and it appeared to be in the 30 pound class, but I guess we will never know. We fished into the darkness and landed a few more big hens in the 15-20 pound class and lost a few others before calling it a night. We had a lot of fun and the kids loved it!! Just look at the smile on their faces.

Casey

No comments: