Friday, March 21, 2014

Fishing is getting better!



I headed out of Teesdale this morning in search of some stripers and sturgeon. I started at daylight just below the ramp and wormed my way down to the warehouses, without a single bite! By the time I got to the warehouses my arm was sore and it was time to switch over to bait and see what that would bring. At the first couple stops we had some good striper bites that we missed and then caught a few shakers before moving on. I kept working my way down stream hitting all of the good spots but there wasn't a lot of action. At my last stop I anchored up on a break line and threw out a sturgeon rod with eel on it and a striper rod with sardine. Within a half hour of sitting there I saw 4 sturgeon roll and had high hopes that one would grad the bait! Eventually I looked over and the sturgeon rod buried down and started to pull drag, fish on!! I grabbed the rod and fought the fish towards the boat while he jumped and rolled doing everything he could do to shake the hook, but today we won!! I got him next to the boat and he slipped right into the net! As soon a he hit the floor of the boat I had my doubts that he was a keeper but a quick check with the tape put him at 40.5 inches making him legal! Not the biggest in the river but will certainly be a good eater!! After catching the sturgeon we fished a couple more hours without any more luck and decided to call it a day. The river is super low right now so I think I will stick with sturgeon fishing for another week or so and hope that the rain they are calling for next week will be enough to make the river rise! If we don't get a rise in the water soon all of the striper fishing will be down south this year and will likely be a short season as the water is already 60+ degrees!

No comments: