Saturday, August 29, 2015

Another Ca. archery buck down!

We have been busy as all hell since opening weekend of the archery season and haven't been able to make it back out. Friday afternoon we wrapped up things and headed back up to the hills so I could try and fill my tag! We reached camp with about 45 minutes until dark so we jumped in the jeep and took off in search of an arrow worthy buck. We hadn't been looking long when my daughter Quinn said "there are some deer right there", Regina threw up her binoculars and what came out of her mouth next was music to my ears, "big buck"! There were two big bucks and we watched as they ran up into a secluded pocket and went back to feeding. I grabbed my bow and headed up the hill in the opposite direction to try and circle around behind the mountain and drop over the top with hopes that the bucks would still be there. As I hit the top of the mountain and started to round the corner in front of me was a good buck! I couldn't figure out how they had beaten me to the top but there stood a big 4 X 4 with my name on it. I quickly ranged the buck at 40 but as I drew he started walking so I let down and ranged him again, now he was 52. As soon as I drew he started walking again, so I let down and whistled and he stopped. A quick range at 65 and I drew, settled in on the pin and let it loose! The arrow found its mark and I watched as the buck went 100 yards down the canyon and bedded down. The buck was hit hard but darkness was coming so I made my way towards the buck as quietly as possible. I closed the gap to 40 yards and figured I'd get another arrow in him but all I could see was from his nose up as he laid behind a log watching me. I figured if that was all the shot he was going to give me I had to give it a try. I drew, settled the 40 yard pin on his nose and let it loose. The shot was straight but a little low and I watched in dismay as the arrow buried into the log he was laying behind! At the sound the buck stumbled to his feet and gave me a broadside shot, game over!!! I had just taken my biggest California archery buck and the whole family was there with me. After taking it all in I hiked back down to the jeep to get the family to come up and lay their hands on the buck. While I was on the stalk Regina had watched the original two bucks through her binoculars the entire time and never took her eye off of them, and wouldn't until I finally reached the jeep and told her I had a buck down! The kids were super excited as we made our way up to the fallen beast and after a few photos we made our way back to the jeep with him. What a great hunt with my family!







No comments: