Sunday, November 24, 2013

11-24-13


I have been trying to get my son Cade out for his first duck hunt as a licensed hunter and today was the day. We got into the blind with clear and calm conditions and my expectations weren't too high but I knew we could at least get a few birds within gun range. As soon as legal shooting time came there were a surprising number of birds in the air. We tried to get the teal to slow down enough for Cade to get on them but they wouldn't cooperate so Bigshot and I let a couple of them have it. As the morning wore on Cade had shot at 5-6 birds without connecting but that all changed when 3 gaddys came loafing in and Cade stoned the drake, it was awesome! He has waited patiently for this day and I couldn't  have been happier for him. He was so excited and so was I, it made my season! It's funny how a single bird can make the day and get a guy thinking back to his first duck hunt! We stayed in the blind until 10:00 and then called it quits. Between the 3 of us we ended up with 12 ducks and had we all been on our A game would have had limits. It was a great hunt and I couldn't be more proud of Cade, he is now officially a duck hunter.

Casey   

No comments: