Friday, April 5, 2013

4-5-13


This morning I headed to the Sacramento River on a scouting mission. We launched at Ward's Landing and began working our way up river from hole to hole. We were throwing rubber worms in the shallows and trolling in the deep spots, but all we could catch were big river pike. The water was on the rise so I threw anchor and switched over to bait, as it sometimes works the best when the fish are moving. We had only been baited up for 15 minutes when my rod went down and it was fish on! I handed my rod to my son Cade and he battled a 10 pound hen to the boat. After some quick pictures she was released and we got the lines back in the water. Not long after the fish really started biting and we were getting bit on each fresh bait. The fish seemed to be biting very light but ever so often one would grab ahold and we would get a hook in them. As we sat and fished I was seeing a ton of sturgeon roll and had several line rubs and knew it was just a matter of time before we would get our chance at one. Eventually my rod doubled over and as soon as I set the hook I knew we had a sturg! The fish did not fight all that hard until it saw the boat and then all hell broke loose! We fought it for 15 minutes before scooping it up in the net! We ended the day catching 6 nice stripers of which 2 were females that we released, and a nice 48" sturgeon for the box. It was a great day on the water and the boys had a blast! 

Casey

No comments: