Saturday, April 16, 2011

4-16-11

Today I guided Mark Cooper and Gary Clave on a pig hunt. We met in Maxwell at 5:00 AM and headed to the ranch. After filling out the log book we headed out to a vantage point to see what day light would bring. As the sky started to lighten we spotted a group of hogs leaving the water hole and headed for the brush. We quickly took off to try and get ahead of the hogs and setup for a shot. We had just got into the saddle that I thought that they were going to come thru when I looked up and there they were. The guys only had seconds to shoot before they got into the brush and Gary made the best of it, putting the smack down on a 100 pound meat sow. As soon as we got Gary's hog gutted and loaded we went in search of a hog for Mark. We drove around and checked some of the usual spots but were not able to spot any others out and about so we went to plan B and headed for the brush. I got Mark set up and made a push towards him with hopes of pushing out a hog to Mark. I was about half way thru the brush patch when I heard the crack of Mark's rifle and knew he had connected. I had pushed a lone boar out of the patch and it came right to Mark where he put a great shot on it at a mere 20 yards. It was another great hunt and I am already looking forward to the next one.

Andy

No comments: