Wednesday, April 6, 2011

4-6-11 (AM)

Today I had the pleasure of guiding Chris Conley and Scott Goulart on a pig hunt. We met at 5AM in Colusa and headed up to the ranch. After completing all of the necessary paper work we headed into the hills. I had seen pigs near a certain brush patch the last 2 weeks and decided today was the day to give them a little surprise. I had been seeing the pigs between 7:00-7:30 AM so we headed into the area first thing and got set up. Both of the guys were on the shooting sticks and ready to shoot when Chris spotted the pigs. They were a little ahead of schedule but we were ready for them. As the pigs started to move side hill down the trail I ranged them at 204 yards and told Chris to get on them. Once he had them in the scope I stopped the pigs and Chris took his shot dropping the smaller of the 2 sows in her tracks. Scott immediately got down on the ground with his bi pod and lined up on the other pig that was now running up hill. I tried to stop the pig but it was having none of it so Scott lined up and took the shot. At the report of the rifle the sow fell stone dead and rolled down towards the bottom of the canyon. After the high fives I checked my watch, it was 6:45 AM and the fun was over!! We walked across the canyon and found both of the pigs, rolled the guts out of them and began the drag back to the ranger. We had both of the pigs loaded by 8:30 and were making our way back to the truck. We stopped to take some photos and then headed to the barn to get the pigs cleaned up and skinned. We had the pigs at the local butcher by noon and the guys were on their way back home. This was a great hunt with a couple of good guys that assured me they will be back, so you have not seen the last of them.

Casey


 

No comments: