Wednesday, April 20, 2011

4-20-11


Today I guided Gary and Dan on a turkey hunt. We met up in Maxwell and headed up to the ranch to see what we could we do. I had been up scouting and had a good idea where were some toms were hanging out so we gave it a try. We walked in and got set up but the birds were silent and no where to be found so we moved on. We went further into the ranch and kept stopping to call but nothing would respond so we decided to get set up and see what came by. We sat there for an hour with no response so we got up and headed back towards the ranger. As we were making our way back we heard a gobble South of us and away we went. We headed into the direction that I had heard the gobble and I stopped to call a couple of times and the toms answered back, so again we got set up. I put Gary and Dan out front and I crawled into a gully behind them and started to call. Within minutes the 2 toms were coming in all puffed up and strutting their stuff for our hen decoys. We watched them for a few minutes and finally I gave the guys the OK to shoot and down they went. With almost a simultaneous shot the 2 jakes fell dead in the decoys. It was a great time and a hunt I will always remember. 

Andy

No comments: